Why the Occupy protests Were Necessary?

There is always a limit to everything-a place where you reach the breaking point. This is especially true with regards to being taken for granted as a patriotic citizen who pays huge taxes year in year out. When you fail to receive what is rightfully yours, you begin to protest within yourself, a felling which may eventually burst out and cause you to react to the government in a certain way. This is exactly how occupy protests began back in 2011 in the financial district of New York city’s Wall Street.

What happened?

The occupy movement began when a bunch of Americans protested against unfair social and economic inequalities within the government. Men and women gathered around Zucotti Park, Manhattan to deliver protests and ask why wealth was being distributed disproportionately. Democracy states that all people, no matter their economic status are entitled to equal economic and social rights. The slogan for the protest “We are the 99%” communicated the message that the largest percentage of the American population is the rest of the population with the 1% only being the wealthiest. By 2012, the occupy movement had spread across the globe except for Antarctica.

Current state of the occupy protests

Fast food workers

The citizens of the United States have experienced positive results following the occupy protests. A national protest for a minimum wage of $15/hr which was initiated by a number of fast food workers seems to have borne fruits in a number of states including Alaska, North Dakota and Nebraska. Their economic bar has to go up to boost the low income population. Walmart and McDonalds for instance have increased the minimum wage to 12 dollars per hour. More pay hikes are expected to sweep across the whole nation and beyond.

Environmental impact

In 2011, the United States environmental movement saw 1200 protesters marching out to fight against the Keystone XL pipeline. As the protests, tech-ins and demonstrations went on, the energy sector was startled and this caused the government to dispense over $50 billion in fossil fuel assets as a way to fight the issues of the environment.

Effect on the drilling process

The occupy protests also prompted another movement which rose up to defend how the states, cities and counties conducted the drilling process. Over 400,000 people showed up to defend the climatic changes associated with drilling. President Barrack Obama made a public declaration and vowed to deal with this issue by enacting mandates dealing with dangerous carbon emissions in power plants. He went on to sign a deal with China which sought to slash carbon emissions that escape into the air.

Money and politics

Occupy protests also focused on corruption within the political process. This really went a long way in re-shaping the wealth influence in the political process. Over 60 cities and towns in the U.S and 16 state legislatures have embraced the concept that money is not speech and corporations are not people. Presidential candidates from both sides of the aisle promise to create new reforms in campaign finance by removing big money from politics.

So there you have it. The occupy protests sent waves all over the world and the consequences will be felt for a really long time. I hope that the positive changes will be permanent and the world will embrace them so as to fight corruption, inequality and other vices which affect the common man.